POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ohgodohgodohgod : Re: Ohgodohgodohgod Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:22:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ohgodohgodohgod
From: somebody
Date: 23 Jul 2008 03:41:17
Message: <4886e09d@news.povray.org>
"Patrick Elliott" <sel### [at] rraznet> wrote in message

>until you closed the last window. And that doesn't even mention that
>fact that, for most tasks, Linux never went above 1-2% processor
>utilization, where hard tasks could take 24%, like playing video, and on
>a machine without a dedicated video system for handling stuff, while
>just opening the application would spike Windows at 70%+.

Are you saying Linux wastes 98 - 99% of the CPU? Typical 1-2% CPU
utilization and a cap at 24% tells me that that particular system or Linux
has a severe bottleneck somewhere else.

It of course won't happen, but an ideally balanced system should show 100%
utilization in all active subsystems when performing non-interactive tasks
like launching an application, for instance. Low CPU usage can be a symptom
of poor disk caching.